Splenda is Not a "Healthy" Sweetener
Splenda is Not a Healthy Sweetener - Sucralose, which is marketed under the brand name Splenda, has become an increasingly popular artificial sweetener. Find out why I advise against it.
The artificial sweetener Splenda is quickly gaining popularity in a market that was previously dominated by Equal and Sweet'N Low. In January 2003, Splenda even surpassed Equal in dollar-market share.
Splenda, the brand name for sugar-derivative sucralose, is converted from cane sugar to a no-calorie sweetener. It isnt recognized as sugar by the body and therefore is not metabolized.
Splenda is marketed as a healthful and natural product since it is derived from sugar. However, its chemical structure is very different from that of sugar and sucralose is actually a chemical substance.
Brand Channel April 28, 2003
Dr. Mercola's Comment:
Please note that I do not advise using Splenda. Nearly three years ago I posted an article describing the dangers of Splenda (sucralose).
Why not use Splenda? Well, research in animals has shown that sucralose can cause many problems such as:
- Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage)
- Enlarged liver and kidneys
- Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
- Increased cecal weight
- Reduced growth rate
- Decreased red blood cell count
- Hyperplasia of the pelvis
- Extension of the pregnancy period
- Aborted pregnancy
- Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
Nearly every month we receive a report from someone who has had an adverse reaction to Splenda, and you can see many of them posted on our site.
Interestingly, my position on sucralose has caused junkscience.com to call me a "dubious alternative health guru". I have no problem in the fatally flawed paradigm calling me names for pointing out the truth and remain grateful that the information on this site continues to help people avoid chemicals that will limit them from experiencing their optimal health.
- The Potential Dangers of Sucralose
- Sucralose (Splenda®) U.S. Product List
- The Dangers of Chlorine and Issues With Sucralose
- Aspartame: What You Dont Know Can Hurt You
- Nutrasweet Lowers Sperm Counts
- Aspartame: What You Don't Know Can Hurt You